Today I have Emma Rowe, fabulous musician sharing her creative process. Thank you Emma!
Hello blog world. I’m new here, be nice.
My name is Emma Rowe, I am a singer/songwriter from Darwin. You don’t know me, and you’re not supposed to…yet.
So, this whole “write a blog post about your creative process” thing has really got me thinking…..What the hell is my creative process???
Sometimes it starts with a cool guitar bit, sometimes it’s lyrics popping into my head at inconvenient times (i.e. while driving, in the shower, while at work), sometimes it’s after seeing a life changing concert or discovering a new artist. Seldom times it’s when I’m sitting with my journal open thinking “I’m going to write a song now”.
Look, I don’t really have a process. But I do have some tips to help you get the best out of your writing. I call it “The Self Care System for Writers”.
If you find yourself in a rut, or just plain not enjoying writing, here are some simple (but effective) strategies that work for me:
– Get a good night’s sleep, you’re wittier when you’re well rested.
– Make yourself a cup of tea. This gives you some unfiltered thinking time.
– RELAX (I realise the irony of writing that in capitals).
– Give yourself a break. If the creativity isn’t happening for you today, that’s ok! Maybe tomorrow!
– Light some candles, I think there’s some actual science behind nice smells stimulating your brain (not a scientist).
– Cuddle your pet. They deserve it, guys. I think there’s science behind this too (again, not a scientist).
– Challenge yourself. Branch out into new genres, topics, collaborations. Prove to yourself that you can.
– Go see some live music/theatre/art exhibitions/dance…whatever your preference!
In the end, the most important thing you can do for yourself is have fun writing, and remind yourself that you’re good at it!! Now, get to it!!
Emma Rowe is a loud singer/songwriter from Darwin, Australia. Her latest single, “LIONESS”, has been critically acclaimed worldwide, and can be found on all major streaming services. Stalk Emma here: Facebook – Instagram – Twitter – YouTube